Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

WMSC#71 "Paper Ruffles"

Today I am sharing a card I made for Waltzingmouse Stamps Sketch Challenge #71 which features a sketch by Kelly Schirmer.  I have been wanting to try out a technique for making paper ruffles that I first saw on a sketch challenge inspiration card made by Clare Buswell.  She kindly posted a tutorial on how to make the ruffles.  If you would like to check it out, here's the link.  I have to admit my ruffles did not turn out as soft and poofy as Clare's, but after quite a few tries, these were finally good enough to actually use on a card.  So, I waited for quite a few weeks until a sketch came along that I could envision using these ruffles.  Today's sketch has that cute little element that could be ribbon, but, I saw ruffles.  Two of them.  Here is my card:
These ruffles were made from some double-sided paper given to me by my friend Renee Lynch.  She kindly sent me two giant boxes of patterned paper and this is the first opportunity I have had to use some of it.  The cardbase is PTI Autumn Rose and the frame stamp set is from Waltzingmouse Stamps Vintage labels #18 and the sentiment is from Say it Loud.  I stitched around the edges and used lots of tea dye to distress all the edges along with a little strip of lace along the top edge of the ruffle.  I added some pearl flourishes and a glittery flower as accents.  This is definitely a  "hand-it" to you kind of card as it would be pretty bulky for mailing.

14 comments:

Joyce said...

Wow. What a pretty card. Those paper ruffles look like fabric. I can see why you wouldn't want to squish this card up in an envelope. But, it is so so pretty. Great take on the sketch.

Deborah Frings said...

Full of shabby goodness - this is just wonderful! I love the paper ruffle ribbon and the lace, the pearly flourishes - well all of it! Just fab!

Renee said...

Aawww...it's gorgeous!!
These ruffles are stunning...
I have to give Claire's tutorial a try!
But love those colors...
the flower...
the pearls...
did I send you that paper?
I may need that returned...
*giggle*
If I did it's because you knew what to do with it...
it's gorgeous...
I lovey!

Diane Jaquay said...

Your paper ruffles turned out GREAT!! I want to try this technique, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Beautiful card!!!

Pauline said...

This is just beautiful Cathy, you got those paper ruffles down to a tee! Love the colour combo, so feminine and pretty.

Jeanne J. said...

Hi Cathy! Love the ruffles - they turned out great! They look soft like fabric. I really like all the details on this one - the pearls, the lace. Very feminine and pretty!

Marybeth said...

Its hard to believe those are paper ruffles. Your card is beautiful. I think I will give this a try. TFS Cathy!

Julie said...

This is gorgeous, Cathy! I LOVE the lacy paper ruffles!! STUNNING!

Kelly S. said...

Oh.my.WORD, Cathy! Those ruffles look just like fabric! I LOVE the colors and the beautiful rose. The thanks label is perfectly stamped! Awesome job flipping this sketch around ;)!

Clare said...

Your ruffles turned out FABULOUS!! Love the color combo and papers you used too! SO pretty!! Thanks for joining us at the WMSC! : )

Julia Aston said...

This card is just SO sweet with the paper ruffles - I must try me some!!! thanks for playing with the WMS sketch this week!

Lenet said...

Beautiful, Love the colors and those paper ruffels are jus stunning! Thanks for joining us at WMSC this week.

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Cathy! Love the paper ruffles combined with that beautiful WM label! Thanks for joining along with the WMSC :)

Jen Adcock said...

Just breathtaking Cathy! I love those romantic ruffles and the coquettish color palette. Congratulations on being a Top Mouse! So well deserved. Hugs.