Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Halloween Party

Since I am on vacation and knew I wasn't going to be able to participate in this week's sketch challenge, I made a card to share using the very first Waltzingmouse challenge sketch:     Remember this one? WMSC#1
There are 70 sketches just waiting to provide inspiration and an easy way to jump-start your creativity.  To check out all those great sketches, click here.




I loved that embellishment layered over the cut-out circle in the sketch.
Since my kids are grown, I don't have any kids to craft with or make Halloween cards with.  I do, however, have a girlfriend with a 10 year old daughter who loves to craft.  So, this will be the third holiday I have invited her over to my house so she can make little gifts for the kids in her class.  We are going to make Halloween bookmarks this year.  Her teacher is very health conscious and is not going to allow any of the kids to bring candy to school.  Eek!  Halloween with no candy!  Hard to imagine, but she was excited to know we were going to still be able to make something for her to give to her friends. 

Here is the card I made for Allyson to invite her over to make bookmarks:


I used an orange card base and Halloween patterned  paper left over from last year with a large circle window diecut with a Spellbinder die.  Since the orange ink didn't show up well on the black patterned paper, I cut an acrylic circle and stamped directly onto it.  I had to heat set it a little to get it to dry, but it is very bright and shiny in person.  Since Allyson can't wear any Halloween costumes to school, I made her a little badge to wear the day of her party.  She loves pins and badges, so I know she will be excited to wear it.  Here is a close-up of the badge:
I used Waltzingmouse stamps Halloween Party for this card and lots of black glitter to make the badge sparkle.  The card has a spiderweb diecut border and lots of distress ink to give it a spooky feel.  I also added some sparkly bats from Halloween Party to fly across the sentiment focal point.  I know Allyson will have fun making bookmarks with me and I only wish I had discovered this hobby while my own kids were young enough to enjoy it!

9 comments:

Rhonda said...

This is so cute Cathy. The badge is a great idea for school.

Joyce said...

How fun that you have a 10 year old friend to craft with. I hope you have a great time with her. This is such a great invitation. I love that spider web punch and all the glittery bats. You have set such a spooky scene for your picture. It looks really great.

Kim Heggins said...

That is so sweet of you to share your creativity with your friend and her daughter. Your book mark is just adorable and the card, jsut breath taking! Love the spider wed edging.

Deborah Frings said...

Cathy - this is so inventive - a great way for your daughter's friend to enjoy Halloween at school. I think the little badge is just fab!

Pauline said...

This is gorgeous Cathy, I love the sparkly pumpkin! A great take on the sketch, I remember my cards for that one, I was so excited I made two! I love your bookmark, and how lovely you can craft with your friend's daughter.

Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog, they always make me smile :-)

Have a great holiday!

Renee said...

This is fabulous...
love it!
And great is that to get to craft with your friend's daughter...
and I bet she looks forward to every year!
But no candy!!
It's all about the candy!! :)
I know y'all will have such a great time!

Jeanne J. said...

Hi Cathy! Hope you are enjoying your vacation! Whate a cool invite card - I love the sparkly pumpkin. This design sketch is before my time - thanks for the link! I'm sure the kids will get plenty of candy outside of school!

Marybeth said...

Such a great idea. The card and book marks are adorable. A ten year old would be in heaven making these. You are going to be a wonderful grandma , I hope that day comes soon for you! Ther is nothing better! Be prepared for your heart to burst!

Kelly S. said...

So smart to go look at those sketches...you are so right, they are just there for the taking! I always find myself focusing on the new sketch, but those fab "vintage" ones should not be overlooked! Your cards is perfect with that one! Love the little medallion bookmark and the spooky webbed edge!