Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

WMSC#68

I have had this post written and almost posted 3 times this week. I kept changing my mind about whether to enter it in the WMSC#68 based on this sketch by Claire Brennan: 
Here is what I made:

Now here is why I have debated about posting it in the sketch challenge.  In the sketch, I see a rectangle with two embellishments, one in each corner.  When I made my candles, the house is the rectangle, the bats and the pumpkins were the two corner embellishments.  They stood out a lot until I added that spooky, gothic fence.  For whatever reason, the fence that I absolutely love, kept the other elements from standing out.  Now, if this had been a card, I would have popped up the bats and pumpkins and they would have stood out, but on a candle, I guess less is more and I should have left off the fence.  If anyone has ever colored a detailed image on tissue paper, you will know why I didn't want to start over and color another house!  So, here's my haunted house candle loosely based on the sketch.  I used Waltzingmouse A Cottage Home for the house and the bats and pumpkins are from Halloween Party.  That infamous fence is from Hocus Pocus.  You might also notice the little stand the candle is sitting in.  I found this at Target and it is actually a cupcake holder shaped like a spider.  Cute, don't you think?

11 comments:

Kara said...

love it!! the candle holder is so cute too!! this looks awesome!

Jen Adcock said...

Totally post worthy and utterly win worthy too! I am really just sitting here, scratching my head in amazement at how you come up with such extraordinary work...time after time. Plus you're a savvy shopper too. Love the spider cupcake now candle holder. Seriously fabulous, the lot!

Joyce said...

Well, you already know what I think, but I'll post it here for the world to see....This is such an incredible project. I would NEVER light this candle. I know that there is a technique for doing candles like this, but I can't imagine ever doing it. It is such a work of art. I love the way you colored the house, and created such a wonderful scene with the bats, pumpkin, and fence. And, it's perfect for the sketch. Some dear, sweet, kind, generous person sent me all the stamp sets to make this scene, and I might just have to try it as a card! Also, love the candle holder.

Renee said...

I think it's a fabby take on the sketch!
And I love the fence!
Really love the lace border at the top! :)
A gorgeous candle...
that I would never light either :)

Pauline said...

This is gorgeous Cathy, I think the fence looks wonderful. Your colouring is superb, and it would make a fab spooky gift!

Jessica Wekenman said...

Wow! That is really a gorgeous candle, Cathy! I'm with Joyce, your coloring is fantastic, and I would never light this either! And I am not one to let candles collect dust! ;)

Jean Martin said...

OMGoodness! This is fabulous!!! Great job! Thanks for playing along with us at WMSC! :)

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Wow!! This is so creative and fun!! LOVE the scene you've created on your candle!!

Kim Heggins said...

Well, you have really out done yourself with this candle. I have to agree with Joyce and would never light the candle. What a beautiful work of art, the image, the coloring, everything about it, just incredible!

Shirley said...

Wow! If I had that I would never never never light it! What a work of art!

Mona Pendleton said...

WOW Cathy! What a beautifully decorated candle! I would have to burn it! Thanks for joining along with the WMSC :)