Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What have I been doing?

It appears as though I haven't been doing anything crafty for awhile, but in reality I have been taking 3 online classes through Jessica Sprague trying to learn how to use my new birthday present to myself, a Silhouette Cameo.  I have a Cameo at work where we teach kids how to make vinyl stickers...but until I got my own, I never realized how much that machine can do!  It is true, "You don't know, what you don't know!"

The three classes I have been taking are here.

I took Getting to Know You, Oh, the places you will go and I am in the middle of Designer Studio Edition.  That is the one I have been the most excited to try since it apparently teaches you how to use digital cuts files, although I haven't gotten that far yet.  There is a bit of homework involved...and if you are like me and haven't taken a class in many, many years...it took a bit of time to figure it all out.  Here is the final project I made for the second class.
 It doesn't look like much, and it is something I could have made myself provided I had all the dies and stamps, but I made it all on the Cameo.  You even lay the whole thing out on your computer screen so you can see just where everything is going to go, what color it will be, etc.  My favorite part is the circle background.  It started off with just a single circle.  Then you add another circle, then a star, weld it together, replicate it a bunch of times, squeeze it all together and finally cut it down to the right size.  Whew.  It took a while.  The layout is one that came with the class and I got Warren to come in and take a picture of me (notice...no makeup-less face is showing!)
 The chevron stripes are print and cut files...you just print them with registration marks on your paper and then the machine automatically knows where to cut it.  Very neat!  The little banner was one of the tasks in the lesson and the think.think.think. tag was made with a rounded rectangle and I added the type and color...printed it and again, the machine cut it off.
I also made a tag on the machine..it looked just like this one, only with no score marks, so I ended up using a PTI tag I liked better.  Honestly, the only independent thought I added to the project was the Lil Inker mini bow, just because I think it is cute.  I plan to frame this and keep it up on the wall in my craft room as a reminder of the many hours I spent trying to learn how to use my machine!

14 comments:

Tracey McNeely said...

Cathy good for you taking the class. I have had my Silhouette for 5 years and I still have so much to learn. The Jessica Sprague classes look fantastic. Your layout is so perfect and I can really appreciate the amount of work to create it, but it turned out fantastic. Keep on trucking!

Marybeth said...

Cathy I love this layout page of you learning,( or pretending you are learning)! If I have to spend all that time learning how to use the Cameo I am not too sure. Good for you for taking the time to get to know your gift. I really love the page you made right down to what you wrote on the tag. Love the circle and stars. I might just let you learn and then you can teach me. I know lazy!

Rhonda said...

Good for you!!! I have taken several Jessica Sprague classes. Love them! Can't wait to see what else you create with your birthday present.

Renee said...

How fun!!
I am jealous that you have a Cameo now...
kind'a makes the computer crashing worth it don't you think?
My Cricut will never die because I told Patrick I'm getting a Cameo as soon as it does! :)
I love the scrap page...
especially those stars...
they're awesome! :)
Have fun in "class"! :)

Suzanne said...

Awesome post, Cathy! I loved reading about your classes and it sounds like you really love the Cameo! Great scrap page too!

Sharron said...

Wow, lucky you! I'm thrilled you are enjoying your gift and having fun with the classes. Love your fabulous page! Just look at all those great details--all beautifully done!

Kim Heggins said...

Cathy, this is just amazing! I love your page too, so fun. I have not finished the first class yet, so busy with work but have purchased all the classes and need to take a week off to do all of the lessons, thanks for the inspiration.

Joyce said...

Oh, I did wonder what you have been up to, but I thought it was all wedding planning. I am so glad that you are learning how to use your cameo--so you can teach me if I ever get one! I love this pic of you and all the cool cut outs you were able to make on your new machine.

Jeanne J. said...

Your layout is awesome - I love the color scheme although your desk is still way too clean! I love that the embellishments are ones you created with your new Cameo - it really ties the story together!

Vickie Z said...

Love what you're doing with your cameo!! Ahh, maybe I need to look into those classes since I ordered my Cameo today.....so excited!! You look like me in the pic....I just hate to have my pic taken!

Nancy Guse said...

Cathy that is great that you are taking those classes. I hope you tell us more about them. The cameo sound interesting. I do love your tag great idea to frame it!

Christina said...

I adore this page, Cathy, especially since it celebrates your new adventure with the Cameo! I'm planning to take some classes to learn to use mine when I have more time this summer. You've definitely inspired me to make it a priority!

Jean Martin said...

Yay! You have a Cameo!!!! So happy for you!!!! It's wonderful that you're sharing this in your blog! :) Congratulations and good luck with your new Cameo!!! :)

myhuonglequyen said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn chia sẻ trẻ sơ sinh nằm nôi điện có tốt không hay võng điện có tốt không và giải đáp cục điện đưa võng giá bao nhiêu cũng như mua máy đưa võng ở tphcm địa chỉ ở đâu uy tín.