Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's the Hot Fun in the Sun Challenge

Today I made a card for the Impression Obsession "It's the Hot Fun in The Sun Challenge".  For more details about this challenge, look here.  I don't have any Summer specific stamps, so I made do with what I do have that reminds me of summer.  Watermelons.  Sweet, juicy and so much fun to eat during the very hot days of Summer here in California.  I based my card design on a beautiful card I received from my PTI friend, Renee Lynch of It's a Patchwork Life.  She sent me a beautiful card earlier this year using Papertrey Ink's All Booked Up stamp set.  Here is her card: 
I always loved how she used Mat Stack #3 upside down.  I thought that was such a creative way to use that die.  I love the colors she chose and if you look closely, you can see she removed the brown ink from the tree leaves and replaced it with green.  How long that must have taken, I can only imagine. 

Here is my card based on Renee's card.


I used a Berry Sorbet cardbase and a New Leaf Mat which was stamped in Versamark with Impression Obsessions Cover a Card stamp, Screen.  I have used this subtle patterned stamp on nearly every single card I make lately.  It adds such great dimension to an otherwise blank piece of cardstock.  Next I  embossed the layer with a cuttlebug folder.  Now, I think these are technically oranges or lemons, but I think they look enough like watermelons to go with the Berry Sorbet Mat Stack #3 and inked it up in Versamark with another wonderful Impression Obsession cover a card stamp, Greenery.I think it gives a really nice, interesting texture to a plain mat stack diecut.  I layered a New Leaf scallop and a white circle stamped with Background Basics, text style on top of the Mat Stack.  Those cute watermelons are popped up with dimensionals, and did you notice the "bite" taken from the top watermelon?  A cute sentiment on a double-ended banner diecut is just what this little card needed.  Some twine and a Berry Sorbet button are the finishing touches.  I hope you will check out both Renee's blog and the Impression Obsession website for their Cover a Card stamps.  I love them and look forward to owning more of them in the future.  Thanks for taking a look at my Hot Fun in the Sun card.

12 comments:

Shirley said...

Hi Cathy, What a really beautiful Watermelon bite of Hot Fun in the Sun card!! I agree about the embossed BG too. Also, I love how you used the Screen and Greenery CAC's too@ A really wonderful card! Thank you so much for playing and good luck in the drawing too!!

Renee said...

My first CASE'd card!!!!
My heart is touched more than I can ever express...
I don't inspire people.
OK...maybe to seek medication...
but that's a different story :)
I LOVE it!
The colors are perfect...
I love every little element...
the embossing...
the layers...
those watermelons...
and that Screen CAC...
I need it!!
I just love it all and it's perfect!
It speaks Summer fun to me! :)

Joyce said...

What a great card. It is making me hungry for watermelon, and I don't even like watermelon. I love how you used those IO cover a card stamps. They add so much interest, while keeping the card clean looking. I need to get that embossing folder. Goes perfectly with all the fruit fusion we've got. Good luck with your contest.

Kara said...

love your melon card!! so cute!

Stephanie said...

Oh, is this just absolutely YUMMY!!!! And......You won using it!!! I'm expecting a PTI PM telling me which new CACs you are getting....lol Congratulations, Cathy! You deserve it for this awesome card. It's adorable!

Shannon White said...

Oh this is sooo Sweet! Love love love your watermelon card! So Summery! Love how you used your CAC's! Adorable Card!

Hugs
Shannon

P.S. Congrats on winning! Happy Shopping! 8-)

Jen Adcock said...

Well deserved win my crafty friend! I have you to thank for my newfound love of CACs. I've got quite a collection growing and I love it! The screen looks as if you've used textured c/s to my old eyes. Very cool! Love the mouthwatering colors you've used.vas well. Fabulous card!

Kathy Mc said...

Just saw on PTI's Forum that you are a winner. Congrats and can certainly see why. This card is just gorgeous ~ so fruitful and delightful. Love your color choices, embossing and CAS of Renee's card. WTG!

Kelly S. said...

YAY, CATHY! What an impressive set of cards for the IO challenge, I love the screeeeen background on each of these, sooo cool how you used it on the mat stack and over the dry embossing on the melon card. Thank heavens it's already in my stash. I am a bit afraid to come to your blog now, enabler you! You do amazing things with the backgrounds! I didn't forget about you for that stamp set next month ;)

LittleSurferGirl said...

Oooh. You're right. The screen stamp is fabulous! I can see using that on top of patterned paper to give it a completely different look! And I love that greenery one, too! That's one that I got! Can't wait to play along with this challenge! The card is absolutely adorable and you definitely captured essence of summer!

Jen Carter said...

Love those watermelons!! Super cute!! The mat stack used upside down is so fun and the colors are super juicy and summery!!

Diane Jaquay said...

I LOVE the layout of this card, the IO screen stamp, the embossed melons, this is just such a great summery card!!!