Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Lucky Me, One Card, two challenges!

St. Patrick's Day is very lucky for me today although I was really scrambling to get this done.  It's lucky for me because although I procrastinated to get my Blog Party card done,  I woke up and saw this morning's WMSC#89, and realized that I could use my idea to make one card for two challenges.  This month the theme for the blog party is no surprise...St. Patrick's Day/Irish/Green!  The sketch for the challenge is by the very "Irish by marriage"  Mischief Maker, Renee Lynch and is perfect for my Irish Themed card.  Here's the sketch:

That great big flower could be just about anything, and I decided to make it a window!
I don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day and didn't have any stamps for that occasion, but I was so happy to find out that Waltzingmouse had some digital stamps and papers that would be just perfect for making an Irish-themed card, and some of them are  FREE!  Here's my card:

Wouldn't everyone like to have the "luck" of  having a whole flowerbox full of four leaf clovers?  The shamrocks are a free digital download from Waltzingmouse.  What was so great about this image is the fact that I could scale it any size I wanted, large or small to fit my card.  This time I wanted those shamrocks growing outside the Small Madison Window, shutters and flowerbox which represent the great big flower in Renee's sketch.   They were colored with copic markers and a little stickles for some sparkle.  Behind the curtain is a little lamp from PTI's Lighten Up stamp set and some lace trim for the valance. 
The background paper as well as the lampshade is also a digital product by Waltzingmouse called Celtic Squares.  It was so reasonably priced and I can print as many pieces of it as I want, lots of different color shades of green too!  Now, this isn't just a regular card, it is my first easel card.

It's quite dark and dreary here this morning, so my pictures don't really capture how bright and cheery this card is.
For some reason I had it in my head that it would be difficult to make an easel card, but it wasn't!  I found the perfect sentiment panel to fit inside my card too.  Last summer when my friend Renee (It's a Patchwork Life) and I placed our first Waltzingmouse order, she ordered the Irish Blessings stamp set.  Before I sent it to her, she let me stamp off a few images to keep for the future and this sentiment is one I stamped.  I had never had a chance to use it before, but I think it is just perfect for this Irish-themed card.  I plan to keep this card myself and keep it on my desk at work, a constant reminder of how lucky and blessed I am. 
There are going to be lots of other "lucky" Irish cards today over on the Waltzingmouse blog, make sure you get over there and enjoy them this St. Patrick's Day.  While you are at it, why not make a card for the WMSC#89 too, you can even cheat like I did and make it a two for one! 

30 comments:

Pauline said...

This is amazing Cathy! I love the shamrock window box, and the celtic stamped wall. Gorgeous Irish themed card!

Mara Campbell said...

This is a fabulous card! I love all the clovers and the window scene and how you bordered the bottom of your card. Simply fabulous!

Renee said...

OMG!!!
LOVE IT!!
That clover coming out of the window box is so creative...
just die!!
And did I tell you I actually found 2 4 leaf clovers last Spring...within minutes of each other...right outside the front door...
I think it's because we built in the middle of a former cow field...
*giggle*
And aren't easel cards fun...haven't made one in years...
but they are so easy...
I really don't know why I don't make them more often! :)
Fabulous card...
just love it!

Joyce said...

What an amazing card. I love that it is an easel, and I love the scene you have inside that window. Very cool sentiment, too. OK, now I need those shutters. How clever is this entire layout?

Jeanne J. said...

Lucky indeed! What a clever card. I love the photo that shows off the fancy fold. You even threw in some velvet ribbon. What a pretty card. Love the little scene and the window box full of clovers! Happy St. Pats to you Cathy!! Hugs!

Kim Heggins said...

Oh my goodness...this is just too brilliant! Those shutters on the window die, wow! The details of this card are just so incredible, the window box over flowing with flowers, you are just so creative.

Cassie_lu said...

what a super sweet window card

Cassie_lu said...

what a super sweet window card

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful easel card Cathy! love the lace curtain and overflowing shamrocks in the window box!

Mona Pendleton said...

WOW Cathy! What a pretty card! I would LOVE to have a flower box full of 4 leaf clovers! So creative!

Kelly S. said...

CATHY! Such a creative card and an easel card to boot! That window is just about the cutest thing (with a LACE CURTAIN!!), and I love the window box overflowing with lucky clovers! That paper makes an amazing background and the velvet ribbon is just perfect to round out the cozy warm feeling. Awesome...I would keep it forever, too :)

Sharron said...

OMG, Cathy--this is just genius!! LOVE your clever use of the digi image! Printing the shamrocks to fit the window box was such a great idea and your little scene is adorable! I totally forgot about Claire's patterned paper--it really makes a marvelous background for this fabulous St. Patrick's Day card!

Jan Garber said...

So cute to PICK and choose your shamrocks from the posie! Love the easel card with the window!

Tracey McNeely said...

What an incredible card Cathy. Love your windows lately, the shutters are so detailed and I think you did a great job of the easel.

Kary said...

What a sweet card!! Love the window scene and the lovely shamrocks.

Helen Berry said...

Wow, Cathy this is a fantastic Easel card - your window is so pretty and I love that you filled it with little shamrocks - such a great idea! Lovely Celtic Squares paper too for the wall.

Marybeth said...

Where do I start on this one? OMgosh this I adorable and beautiful in every way. Cathy I sure love your window cards. I love way that you used the shamrocks, the pretty edge,and then an easel card. Wow! So nice to see that you are keeping this card to remind you how much you are blessed! The background paper you printed looks great on your card too! TFS

Cathy McGrath said...

A truly beautiful card.

The Paper Parade said...

I just LOVE this window scene!! The curtains are neat, the shutters are awesome! And the lamp on that retro textured "wallpaper" is the perfect touch :)

Super Jen said...

Wow! You pulled out all the stops here. I can't even begin to imagine how long this one took to make.

JJ Bolton said...

Amazing! There's so many fabulous details in this card! A work of art for sure!

Cassi said...

what a fantastic card! i love the way it opens, the great color combination, and divine window box.

F.T said...

Wonderful idea and creativity.

Plastic Card Printing
Plastic Card
Scratch Cards

Cammie said...

WOW! Love this sweet little scene! Super clever to fill the window box with shamrocks. This is one of my faves from this party.

Deborah Frings said...

Cathy - brilliant card!! I love the use of Claire's printed paper and the window box of shamrock is just lovely! I just love the sayings from Irish Blessings.

Susan said...

This card is stunning! I first saw it on Pinterest and once I realized it was yours I was even more in love with it. I absolutely love that lamp inside and with the valance...so brilliant!

Laurie said...

Cathy this is amazing! WOW! I love all the details! Beautiful!

Claire said...

This is such a clever card! Well done on your 'honourable mention' - truly deserved!

Kim Duran said...

Wow! I love what you did with those clovers! So creative to make a little window box! Thanks for joining us this week at Waltzingmouse!

Purrfect Paper Creations said...

Sorry this is so late, trying to catch up! Cathy, this card is just so amazing! I love those dies, and your hand cut shamrocks, the lace curtains, and then it is an easel card to boot. Wow!

Chris L.