Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Button Boutique - Butterfly Style

It all started with a "cased" card.
This card was the reason I bought Garden Variety and Wildflower Garden.  Michelle Wooderson made the original seen here.  I loved it.  I love the text style stamped over the Fruitti Tutti patterned paper and the beautiful red strawberries.  Now, I don't have any vintage bookprint.  Wish I did, but I don't so I used what I had and stamped some Impression Obsession Cover a Card Newsprint and distressed the edges.  I think it looks almost as good as vintage bookprint, don't you?  I changed the sentiment to fit a birthday, added a little honey bee (thanks, Joyce) and I love how this card turned out.  Except it was almost identical to Michelle's original card.  For that reason, I had to make another card, same basic sketch, just mixed up a little. 

Here is my take on the same sketch, what I call Button Boutique - Butterfly Style

I used royal velvet cardstock stamped with Impression Obsession Cover a Card Woodgrain in versamark for the card base.  The newsprint is stamped on ocean tides with Memento Grape Jelly ink.  I would never have thought ocean tides and royal velvet went together so well, but they are GORGEOUS together.  The button card is rustic white and the little pinked square is stamped with Background Basics Text style in versamark.  Those adorable buttons are from Making Memories and I sewed them on with some purple floss.  I stamped the sentiment and the wildflowers in rustic cream ink.  I added a few diecut butterflies cut from Bitty Box papers, popped up with a few pearls colored with copics.  This time, I wised-up and made an extra button card in a PTI seed packet to give to my PTI friends that I am sending  these cards to.  I want them to "use" the buttons and I realized that I would never cut up a card someone sent me, so to use the cute buttons, there better be an extra set included with the card.  I have had such fun making button cards this past week.  I am going to have to force myself to use another set.  Thanks for taking a look.

12 comments:

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Beautiful cards! Love the second one with those adorable buttons!

Joyce said...

You have outdone yourself. I love both of these cards. If I may say so, I like your CASE better than the original. More of my style. I'll be casing them for sure. (Even the bee looks cute!)
Joyce

Jen Adcock said...

Holy smokes! Cathy these are real treasures! Just breathtakingly beautiful works of art. I love the IO newsprint. I think it is marvelous and better than real book print actually as stamped on c/s it has some body. Totally agree with ocean tides working perfect here. I also love love love the sentiment combos. Gosh you are so clever. I am gonna see what I can do as you have me just giddy with inspiration. *faints*

Shirley said...

They are both so pretty and fun to look at too!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous cards!!

Melissa said...

Beautiful, Cathy! I love how you used a mix of stamps to create your masterpieces! Those buttons are too cute!

Renee said...

Both are GORGEOUS!!
But I gotta say that OT/ RV is eyecatchingly stunning!!
And those buttons...
too stinkin' cute!
You have outdone yourself...
they're gorgeous!!

LittleSurferGirl said...

*sigh*
What a treasure! Absolutely stunning. I'm off to find those cover a card stamps that you use. My husband thinks the newsprint is "very cool." You're a good friend too, Cathy, to be giving away these masterpieces! LOVE it!

Marybeth said...

Cathy, your just getting too good at this. What is the next step for you? Your cards are amazing!

Jen Carter said...

Wow!! This is wonderful! Love the flower images stamped on the RV and then embossed. Everything is really fantastic! You are doing wonderful things with all the button cards you're whipping up!!

Diane Jaquay said...

Totally LOVE the purple card, so many wonderful, eye catching details!

Ted said...

Cathy, I'm not sure why I hadn't seen these sooner. These are gorgeous! Both cards are just incredible. :) I'm a purple fan, but even the first card has me going "wow". :) Love 'em!